- All security employees of the McCracken County Jail shall be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Employees shall have a high school diploma or GED.
- All employees of the McCracken County Jail shall be subject to a thorough investigation of his or her background to include: criminal, medical and employment history.
- Employees may be subject to drug testing at any time as directed by the Jailer.
- Equal employment opportunities shall exist for all positions.
- Employees shall maintain proper physical condition to be able to perform any job assignment.
- Employees may be assigned any job assignment at the Jailer’s discretion and shall be able to physically perform duties assigned.
Some duties of a Deputy Jailer include, but are not limited to:
- Booking and Releasing inmates through a Jail management system
- Unclothed and clothed searches of inmates
- Movement of inmates inside and outside of Jail
- Treat prisoners in a fair, impartial manner
- Inmate counts
- Inmate and facility surveillance
- Passing of medication
- Passing of meals
- Security and safety inspections
- Minor medical treatment
- Initial mental health treatment
- Address inmate situations
- Standard work week is 40 hours per week.
- Holidays will be given as those recognized by the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Full time staff will be given 8 hours compensation. Compensation for part time is only given if holiday is worked.
- Vacation time is awarded to full time staff only. After one year of service ten (10) working days, after ten years fifteen (15) working days and after fifteen years twenty (20) working days. These days do not carry over from year to year.
- Sick leave is awarded to full time staff only. Awarded at the rate of one (1) day per month. The first three full calendar months of services shall not be credited until the first day of the fourth month, then 3 days will be awarded. No more than 120 days shall accumulate. Any accumulated sick time is forfeited upon termination.
- FMLA is part of our administrative code.
- Bereavement leave is given for up to three (3) paid working days for immediate family.
- Health and hospitalization insurance is available at a shared cost with the Fiscal Court for full time employees effective after their initial 90 days.
- Life insurance is provided for full time employees in the amount of $25,000.
- Workers compensation and unemployment insurance are part of our administrative code.
- Our retirement program is through the Kentucky Retirement Systems (CER) for staff working more than 100 hours per month.
Click here to print an application (PDF)